TRIO Consultancy

"your family abroad"

Visa Info

Studying in the UK -  UK visa guide

This section explains how you can apply for permission to come to or remain in the UK as a student or a student visitor. The route you choose will depend on your age, and on the length and level of the course that you want to study.Our quick guides contain an overview of the different routes, and can help you to choose the correct route for you. You can also select a route from the list below for more detailed information on how to apply.

Most international students need a student visa to study in the UK. Finding out whether you need a visa to study is easy - simply check here on GOV.UK .Your student visa will allow you to live and study in the UK throughout your course.

If you attend a pre-departure briefing in your home country, you will pick up more handy tips on your visa application.

Types of student visa

  • Tier 4 (General) student visas

If you are 16 or over and want to study at higher education level, you’ll need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa. You need to wait until you have an offer from a university before applying for your Tier 4 (General) student visa. Your university will then be able to give you a document called a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). To do this, your university needs to be approved by the UK government as a ‘licenced Tier 4 sponsor’. Find out more about Tier 4 (General) student visas .

  • Short-term study visas

Short term study visas are available to students who want to join courses that are up to six months long or English language courses up to 11 months long. Find out more about short-term study visas .

  • Can I work in the UK on a study visa?

Many international students in the UK take a part-time job, work placement or internship alongside their studies. The hours and type of work you do will depend on the type of visa and your sponsoring university or college. Find out more about the hours and types of work you can do on the UKCISA website .

Useful links to help with your visa application:

  • Do I need a Visa Questionnaire:

  • UKBA website:

  • Can I apply online for my visa?

  • How to complete their application form:

  • Link to a guideline of visa processing times: